Molasses Cookies Recipe - Broas de Mel
Broas de Mel or, Molasses Cookies are a typical sweet of Madeira. Literally translated they would be called honey cookies but that is because in Portuguese we call Mel to both the bees’ honey and the sugar cane honey (molasses). When you try Broas de Mel you will certainly notice some similarity with gingerbread cookies as these last ones also have molasses.
- 1 kg flour
- 200 g butter
- 250 g hog’s fat
- 700 g sugar
- 2 green lemons
- 2 tea spoons sodium bicarbonate
- 2 tea spoons cinnamon (worn out)
- 4 soup spoons molasses
- 4 eggs
How to do it:
- Mix and knead all the ingredients until you get an homogenous and smooth dough. You must do the first step in the morning if you want to cook the cookies at night so the dough can rest for at least 6 hours.
- With the dough you make 1,5 cm diameter balls and put them on a tray covered with greaseproof paper.
- Put the tray into the pre-heated oven (around 180ºC) for about 10 to 15 minutes or until they get cooked.
As we say in Portuguese… Bom Apetite!