Molasses Cake Recipe - Bolo de Mel
Bolo de Mel or, Molasses Cake is the traditional Christmas cake in Madeira. The sugar cane molasses and the sugar are authentic preservatives which make these cake last for a year. In Madeira you will find this cake all year round on the supermarkets or Madeira gifts’ shops but the tradition for the locals is to bake (a big quantity of) them near Christmas and then offer a few to family and friends. There are several recipes of Bolo de Mel, here is one:
- 2 Kg flour
- 1 Kg sugar
- 0.5 Kg butter
- 0.25 Kg bread dough from the bakery
- 2 L molasses
- 0.5 Kg hog’s fat
- 30 g sodium bicarbonate
- 0.33 g stout beer
- 50 g cocoa
- 12 g clove
- 12 g clove bark
- 15 g cinnamon (worn out)
- 10 g worn out pepper
- 1 nutmeg scrap
- 2 small oranges scrap and juice
- 1 lemon scrap
- 0.25 Kg pricked almond
- 1 Kg pricked walnut
- 125 g raisins
- 0.25 Kg pricked cider
- half Madeira wine chalice
- half Grogue chalice
How to do it:
- Heat the butter, the hog’s fat and the molasses together until they melt completely.
- Mix the flour, the sugar, the sodium bicarbonate, the bread dough and the warm mixture previously done and knead until you get an homogenous dough.
- All other ingredients are then added and the dough is very well kneaded once more.
- The dough is covered with some flour and wrapped in blankets to keep it warm, at rests for at least 24 hours.
- The dough is distributed into the wide, shallow, round cake pans and is decorated with dry fruits (almonds, wallnuts and pricked cider).
- Bake for about 50 minutes at 180ºC (355ºF).
As we say in Portuguese… Bom Apetite!